Hey friends!!! It's National Caramel Day! I feel like just about any dessert can be slathered in caramel, so it's an important one to celebrate. Today, I'm sharing a recipe we couldn't keep our hands off of for 10 seconds without eating MORE. So yes, danger danger, friends. Plus, I'm teaming up with some of my blogger friends to keep the caramel party going all day long with 21+ Caramel Recipes below. So make sure to not drool all over your keyboard for this one, man.
As if chocolate chip cookies aren't enough (which they are, I promise!), we must take things to the next level by filling them with caramel, making them into cute squares to eat, and topping them with sea salt for that extra mouthwatering flavor.
It should be crime, really.
First, make those cookies like you normally would. A to Z, but before you feel the urge to roll them into little balls for baking, STOP right there. Press half the dough into the bottom of a dish lined with parchment paper (easier to remove them)...
Slather on some of that heavenly caramel...
Top with a little sea salt for good measure (looks like my chocolate chips started getting melty!)...
Top with more cooking dough (you basically are making a cookie dough caramel sandwich here)...
Press it together with a spatula, bake it up and...
You have heaven right here. It's less work - no rolling, so babysitting the oven for a few batches, just one bake and you're all set for dessert. Enjoy, friends!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
makes 16 bars, 9x13 pan
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 Tablespoons (about a stick and a half) of unsalted butter, melted, and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
10 oz caramel candy squares, unwrapped
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9x13 (or 9x9 square pan for thicker bars) dish with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt (not sea salt - save that for later) in a medium bowl, set aside.
3. Using your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until combined. Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until uniform throughout. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Spread half the cookie dough in the bottom of the prepped baking dish. Set aside while you get that caramel layer ready.
5. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave on high until caramel + heavy cream are melted, about 2 minutes, checking every 20 seconds. Pour over cookie dough layer, and sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Working in small clumps (teaspoon size), top the caramel with cookie dough and press down lightly with a spatula to cover most of the caramel. Sprinkle with even more salt if desired.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top of the bars are golden, let cool to room temperature, then refridgerate for 20 minutes for the caramel layer to set. Cut into squares and serve!
Recipe adapted from: Brown Eyed Baker
You have to check out these amazing
11+ caramel recipes:
Chocolate Dipped Caramel Marshmallows by Ashlee Marie
Coconut Chocolate Caramel Nests by Life Made Simple
Caramel Pretzel Brownies by The Baker Upstairs
Caramel Banana Bread by Yellow Bliss Road
Caramel Sauce by Creations by Kara
Chai Creme Brulee by Foodie with Family
Turtle Cake by Real Mom Kitchen
Instant Pot Caramel Dipping Sauce by 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Smoky Salted Caramel Creme Brulee by Hey Grill Hey
Iced Caramel Macchiato by Gather for Bread
Vegan Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars by Namely Marly
and here's a few more to try!
Salted Caramel Bittersweet Tart, Life Made Simple
Take 5 Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Cookies, Gather for Bread
Salted Caramel Cheesecake, Ashlee Marie
Salted Caramel Brownies, Baking with Blondie
Chewy Caramel Popcorn Balls, Real Mom Kitchen
Cayenne Caramels with a Pretzel Bacon Crust, Hey Grill Hey
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies, Baking with Blondie
Fleur De Sel Caramels, Gimme Some Oven
Caramel Apple Cider Cookies, Baking with Blondie