Skip to main content

Thick French Toast with Homemade Fresh Strawberry Butter


 
I'm holding on to strawberries as long as I can! I adore strawberries, and we've tried to use them as much as possible this season. When I saw this recipe, I knew we had to save it for this Sunday.

When we got home from church, we were starving - and I couldn't wait to whip up a batch of breakfast-for-dinner to fill our bellies. Each week at some point, we have some kind of breakfast for dinner (usually in omelet form to clean out whatever meat and veggies we have leftover in the fridge, as well as use up our eggs). It's fast, easy, and always delicious.

I couldn't wait to try this recipe when I saw it on Pinterest a couple weeks ago. Fresh Strawberry Butter? What could be more dreamy on a thick warm slice of french toast? It was absolutely delicious. Although, I did change the recipe to use fresh strawberries instead of strawberry preserves. It was worth it! When I made the strawberry butter, I couldn't stop spreading it on the un-battered slices of french bread and eating it. It was so addicting. I ended up having to slice more bread to use for the actual french toast!

This strawberry butter could easily be used to dress up your typical pancakes, waffles, and any kind of breakfast pastry. I bet it would also go well using any other berries instead of strawberries (even though the fresh strawberries were so dreamy!) I've never made my own flavored butter before - after trying this recipe, the doors of possibility just flew right open.


Thick French Toast with Homemade Fresh Strawberry Butter

Ingredients:
1/2 loaf of french bread, sliced at an angle into 1-inch slices
3 eggs
a slash of whole milk
a drop of vanilla
a drop of almond extract
1 T cinnamon
6 large juicy strawberries (the riper the better), stems removed, sliced
1/2 C of unsalted butter, softened. Plus about a teaspoon for the griddle.
1/3 C powdered sugar
a few strawberries, sliced, for serving

Directions:
1. Prepare butter: in a mini-food processor, blend together butter, powdered sugar, and fresh strawberries. Remove strawberry butter from food processor into a separate small bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and keep cold in fridge until french toast is done.
2. Preheat griddle to about 350 degrees.
3. Prepare french toast batter: in a large, flat bowl (I usually use some kind of square tupperware), whisk together milk, eggs, extracts, and cinnamon.
4. Melt extra butter on griddle.
5. Dunk slices, one by one, in french toast batter (both sides), and lay on hot griddle, until all slices are on griddle (mine fit about 7ish slices).
6. When the side-down shows a bit of golden color, flip each slice to the other side (about a minute or two). Remove from grill when the other side is golden as well.
7. Serve with fresh strawberry slices and your homemade strawberry butter.

Strawberry Butter Recipe Adapted From: Landolakes

Want to try another one of my French Toast Recipes? Try my Peanut Butter Banana Stuffed French Toast

Comments

  1. WOW! That strawberry butter looks TO DIE FOR!! I can't wait to get off my diet so I can try this! LOL Thanks for sharing! :)

    Danielle
    www.healingtheheaviness.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Coming over from Kim's blog, seven thirty three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything strawberry is good so I'm sure that strawberry butter is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that looks sooo good! I've never made flavoured butter before, but might have to give it a try :)

    I would love to invite you to post this over at my link party on The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous and fun way to boost the traditional french toast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to try this recipe this weekend.....................I am sure it will make my family very happy..............................

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Monster Truck Birthday Party